Introduction to Economic History: Economics 210A: Readings
Brad DeLong and Barry Eichengreen Spring 2014 :: University of California, Berkeley :: Wednesday 1:00-3:00 p.m. :: 597 Evans Hall
Readings are available either on the web or, where there exists no web-based copy, at Graduate Services (http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/doemoff/grad/index.html) at 208 Doe Library. Access to readings available through JSTOR and other proprietary sources may require you to log on through a university-recognized computer and enter your Calnet ID. There can be high demand for the readings on reserve at peak times, and the library can make available only limited numbers of copies. In past years some students have found it useful to purchase some of the books from which material is assigned through their favorite online book seller and to assemble the materials for reproduction at a local copy shop.
Week 1: January 22. The Malthusian Economy (Feudalism and Manorialism; Guilds and Trade)
- Robert M. Solow (1985), "Economic History and Economics", American Economic Review 75:2 (May), pp. 328-331 http://www.jstor.org/stable/1805620
- Kenneth J. Arrow (1985), "Maine and Texas", American Economic Review 75:2 (May), pp. 320-323 http://www.jstor.org/stable/1805618
- Rick Steckel (2008), "Biological Measures of the Standard of Living", Journal of Economic Perspectives 22:1 (Winter), pp. 129-52 http://www.aeaweb.org/articles.php?doi=10.1257/jep.22.1.129
- Thomas Malthus (1798), An Essay on the Principle of Population, Chapters 1-2, pp.1-11, Electronic Scholarly Publishing Project, 1998. http://www.esp.org/books/malthus/population/malthus.pdf
- Gregory Clark (2007), A Farewell to Alms: A Brief Economic History of the World, Chapter 2, “The Logic of the Malthusian Economy,” pp. 19-39 and Chapter 3, “Living Standards,” pp. 40-70. Princeton: Princeton University Press. On reserve at Graduate Services.
- Moses Finley (1965), "Technical Innovation and Economic Progress in the Ancient World", Economic History Review NS 18:1, pp. 29-45 http://www.jstor.org/stable/2591872