The 2008 Federal Budget: Radio: KQED Forum 88.5 FM 9:00 AM Wednesday, February 7, 2007
This Year's Federal Budget Forum discusses President Bush's federal budget plan for 2007 and the anticipated Congressional response.
- Michael Krasny
- Annelise Anderson, senior research fellow with the Hoover Institution
- Brad Delong, professor of economics at the University of California at Berkeley
- Deborah Solomon, Wall Street Journal reporter
KQED Audio Archive: http://www.kqed.org/epArchive/R702070900
Wow. I certainly ate my wheaties this morning...
I think what I objected to most was the enthusiasm with which Annelise Anderson repeated the White House talking points:
- Bill Clinton balanced the budget by starving the military!
- Bush's deficits arose not because he is feckless but because he is defending America!
- A little spending restraint by congress, and the budget will be balanced by 2012!
- Congress makes budget balance impossible because whenever taxes are raised it increases spending!
None of which are true. And a former associate director of OMB has no excuse for not knowing when staying reality-based requires throwing out the White House's talking points...
People are entitled to their opinions and judgments, but not to their own facts.