What would I most like to see in a quick health care symposium this fall/winter for The Economists' Voice?
(A) Ask representatives of the three major Democratic campaigns to comment on the excellences of the other campaigns' plans:
- Obama rep. on the excellences of Clinton and Edwards
- Clinton rep. on the excellences of Edwards and Obama
- Edwards rep. on the excellences of Obama and Clinton
(B) Ask people who know the legislative politics to explain:
- What significant improvements are impossible because the pharmaceutical lobbyists will block them?
- What significant improvements are impossible because the insurance lobbyists will block them?
- What significant improvements are impossible because the doctor lobbyists will to block them?
(C) Taking a broader view:
- What's wrong with all three plans: the view from the right?
- What's wrong with all three plans: the view from the left?
(D) Taking a broadest view:
- What public-policy mediated changes in health care financing, delivery, education, and information would produce the biggest improvements in Americans' health status, and why?