About Barack Obama:
- If he gets above 50.1 percent it will be the highest dem pct since LBJ.
- If he gets 54% it will be the highest pct for any non-incumbent candidate of either party since 1952.
- If he simply comes in first, with any total, it will be four pop vote wins for dems in the past five cycles.
- He should amass more votes than any other candidate ever, including reagan's 1984 standard.
- He will be the winning candidate with the highest share of his votes coming from non-whites... and probably the candidate with the highest non-white share of all time.
- By this evening 3/4 of American Jews will have voted for a guy whose middle name is Hussein: if we cannot use this lever for good in the Middle East, we do not deserve to be a superpower.
About John McCain:
- We simply do not know what kind of president John McCain would make--it could be good, it could be very bad.
- We do know what kind of president Sarah Palin would make--and we all should be eager to keep her as far away from the presidential line of succession as possible.
- Yes, John McCain ran a dirty campaign. But it was a less dirty campaign than any Republican has run since... well, since the memory of man runneth (with the possible exception of Ford 1976). The difference this year was that--for some reason--this year a fraction of the mainstream press called them on it rather than ignoring it entirely.
- The Republican candidates this year were all one or more of: (i) ideologically-blinded, (ii) incompetent, or (iii) risk-loving for its own sake and hence erratic. John McCain was (iii)--which makes him the best of the Republicans on offer this year.