Gideon Rachman: Wilhelmine Imperial China: "[T]he idea that the great powers of today could never again stumble into a war, as they did in 1914, is far too complacent. The rising tensions between China, Japan and the US have echoes of the terrible conflict that broke out, almost a century ago…. America’s security guarantee is meant to reassure Japan, but there is also a danger is that it might tempt Japanese politicians to take unnecessary risks. Some historians argue that in 1914, the German government had concluded that it needed to fight a war as soon as possible – before it was encircled by more powerful adversaries. Similarly, some Japan-watchers worry that nationalists in the government may be tempted to confront China now…. China now, like Germany 100 years ago, is a rising power that fears the established great power is intent on blocking its ascent." The real fear is not that China's ruling aristocracy fears that its relative strength will wane and it must strike now--and that was not reason to fear in 1914. The reason to fear in 1914 was that a ruling aristocracy based on a bankrupt ideology feared its people and hoped to distract giddy minds with foreign quarrels. That was Wilhelmine Imperial Germany. We need to work to keep that from becoming modern China.
Gary King and Maya Sen: How Social Science Research Can Improve Teaching
Scott Lemieux: Shorter Rich Lowry: "The Super Bowl, like the country, has really gone to hell, what with the talented black women replacing the untalented cranky nostalgic white guys and all."
On February 5, 2013:
- DIE BY THE TECHNICALITY, LIVE BY THE TECHNICALITY: DELONG LAWYERING, 1855 EDITION
- HOISTED FROM COMMENTS: DSQUARED: "CAN I BE THE FIRST TO POINT OUT THAT OXFORD DOES MOST OF ITS TEACHING IN INDIVIDUAL (OR SMALL-GROUP) TUTORIALS, AND THAT THEATRE-BASED LECTURES ARE VERY MUCH OF SECONDARY IMPORTANCE? OK, CAN I BE THE NINTH THEN?"
- ALEX TABARROK: WHY ONLINE EDUCATION WORKS
- ATTENTION: REPUBLICANS: YOUR GOVERNOR IS AN INNUMERATE DORK WHO IS TRYING TO BANKRUPT YOU!: MEDICAID EXPANSION WEBLOGGING
- LIVEBLOGGING WORLD WAR II: FEBRUARY 5, 1943
- GRIFTERS GOTTA GRIFT: TAGG ROMNEY RUNNING FOR THE MASSACHUSETTS SENATE WEBLOGGING?
- NOTED FOR FEBRUARY 5, 2013